Monday, March 8, 2010

Crowders Mtn. and The Movies

Today we took Toby for his first hike and discovered a new trail! BJ carried Eli on his back and I hauled Toby in the Baby Bjourn. Carrying 50 pounds of kids up a mountain on a strenuous 1.7 mile trail was a challenge! But it was such a beautiful day here in North Carolina and we couldn't pass up such a great opportunity to be outside. We saw lots of folks and at least a dozen dogs on the trail. But yeah, it was hard...
Especially for me. I was definitely feeling the burn!

looking down the trail on our way up
and looking up. it just kept going!


and did I mention we forgot to bring water? Eli had a sippy cup of warm apple juice but he wasn't keen on sharing it. I started to really wimp out about 3/4 of the way up. BJ tried to help me out a bit...
by carrying both kids. I really wanted him to carry me! And all I could think about was this:





Well hello there little hiker!

It got to the point where I just didn't think I could make it all the way. Yes, I was whining and BJ kept "encouraging" me to keep going. Toby was starting to get pretty hungry so I told BJ to take the camera and go on without me and that I'd meet him and Eli at the car. I was going to stop at a nearby bench and feed Toby and then head back down.

BJ took this from the top.

So I fed Toby and he fell asleep and when I stood up and looked through the trees, I caught a glimpse of the Charlotte skyline. I really wanted to see the Charlotte skyline from the top of the outcropping of rocks.

So I put Toby back in the Bjourn and kept going. When I got to the rocks that one must climb to get to the top there just happened to be a guy coming down and that good samaritan gave me and Toby a hand up.

We made it!


View of the Charlotte skyline from the top
There were 360 degree views up there

BJ was pretty surprised to see me on the summit! And snapped this picture:



And then we promised Eli some ice cream and headed down 'cause he was getting fussy.
Another good samaritan helped us get the kids back safely down the rocks.

And we finally made it back down to the car. After a (slight) detour and getting (somewhat) lost along a road.

And Eli got his ice cream. And BJ and I got some much needed water.
And yes I got one of these:




Then...we headed to the $2 theater downtown and saw "The Squeakquel." It was Eli's first time in a movie theater!
and besides playing with the chairs a bit...

and eating some popcorn and m&m's off the floor, he loved it!
And Toby was so good too!


What a great Monday!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! Miss you guys so much!